Friday, October 2, 2009

The Video Vault: No Doubt

My love affair with music started at an early age. At the beginning I had a tryst with pop music, followed by a lengthy relationship with Oldies, that eventually lead to my discovery of 'alternative' music. By the age of 12 I had discovered Nirvana, Green Day, and Weezer, but I had yet to find a band that was truly relatable. As much as I pined over Cobain, and Cuomo, I didn't identify with their struggles. That all changed when Gwen Stefani skanked her way onto the scene with her platinum pompadour, red lipstick, and killer boots. I was completely obsessed with her because she was everything I wanted to be: a sexy albeit tough goofball, that hangs with the boys. No Doubt's songs played upon the same dynamic, with their power chords, chugging bass, and celebratory horns. At 14, I felt that Stefani sang about the same things I was grappling with, from romance and heartbreak, to the ups and downs of being a girl. The first real concert I ever attended was for their Tragic Kingdom tour, and I can still remember the excitement I felt as I watched Stefani prance, punch, and power kick her way through their set. It's hard to jump start a 14 year old girl's self-confidence, but I'm happy to say that No Doubt did that for me.

1 comment:

  1. I think a bunch of us went to the epic Tragic Kingdom show. Where was it? The Forum or the Bell Centre? I remember Kristin and I spied you, Kim and Lauren on your floor seats. That was a great show!

    I think that show was also when I fell for the Vandals. How silly!

    ReplyDelete