Thursday, July 16, 2009

For The Love of Food


It's no secret that I've become quite the gastronomic wizard in the past two years, with a little help from Bon Appetit, SmittenKitchen and Epicurious. I have a few favorite recipes that I bust out when I want to impress or titillate, but I'm forever searching for new ones to test out. I'm slowly becoming comfortable enough in the kitchen to let loose and create my own dishes, but I still find comfort in following a recipe meticulously and savoring the results. Lately I've been craving light summery fare, so I thought I would try an oldie but a goodie: Grilled Tuna & Mango Salad published in the October 1995 issue of Bon Appetit. The results were fantastic - the cool mango salad was flavorful and zesty, and when paired with the seared tuna the combination totally hit the spot. Try it for yourself:

Ingredients:
1 Mango, pitted and chopped

3/4 cup red onion, chopped

1/2 red bell pepper, chopped

Chopped fresh cilantro (as much or as little as you like)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar

2 tablespoons olive oil


Tuna steak

Olive oil or vegetable oil for grilling tuna


Preparation:

Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl, season with salt & pepper.

Grill tuna about 4 minutes per side (I don't have an outdoor grill so I have a grill pan that works nicely).
Plate the tuna with the salad and serve - easy and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment