Tuesday, August 4, 2009

For The Love of Food

There's nothing like watermelon on a hot sticky day. Today is one of those days, so in anticipation of the heat I whipped up this Chopped Veggie Salad with Watermelon and Feta Cheese last night. Honestly, it is one of the easiest and tastiest summer salads I've ever had - and it'll impress the pants off of anyone (not like I've tried). Although it's popular for breakfast in Israel, it can be eaten at any time of day, and it also works really well as a BBQ side dish. I adapted this recipe from one I found featured in Bon Appétit last summer, but nixed their yogurt dressing in favor of simply delicious olive oil. This sweet and savory combination hits the spot every time...

Ingredients:
1 large tomato
1 cup seeded watermelon, cut into cubes
1 large red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into cubes
1/2 large seedless cucumber, cut into cubes
1 cup cubed feta cheese
1 green onion, chopped
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
3 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation:
Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with a smile.

Note: This salad gets pretty juicy as the salt works its magic on the veggies, so drain it on occasion to keep the salad as crunchy as possible. Say no to soggy veggies.

5 comments:

  1. That looks good. I will definitely keep this in mind. Is that a real picture of what you just whipped up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I took that pic before I devoured some for dinner. My food photography skills are slowly improving! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I'm definitely gonna try this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make me that. Now, do you feel popular?

    ReplyDelete