Monday, January 4, 2010

For The Love of Food

We may have just barreled head first into a bitter winter, but my need for greens every single day has not waned. In the past, I've craved piping hot pastas and other comfort food, but for some reason I've managed to stay *gasp* healthy throughout these harsh months. Part of the reason is the fantastic salads I've come across, that are packed full of flavor and are surprisingly filling. Those who know me, are well aware of my ongoing obsession with a certain Grilled Halloumi Salad at my local haunt. For those who need a little background, Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese that's best described as follows: if Feta and Mozzarella had a baby, it would be Halloumi. It has the chewiness of Mozzarella coupled with the saltiness of Feta, but has a mild flavor that won't offend cheese unenthusiasts. I ate this salad at least once a week while I was unemployed, and was devastated when they told me that it was a summer item that would soon disappear from the menu. I don't know if it was due to my sales alone, but somehow the salad has made it's way onto their winter menu allowing me to savor it on occasion. But this isn't brain surgery people - it's just salad making, so this weekend I thought to myself it's about time I try my hand at conjuring up this lemony confection. It's incredibly simple, and oh-so-fresh so I recommend you try this Grilled Halloumi Salad for a light and refreshing winter pick me up!

Ingredients:


1 bunch of mixed greens
1 bunch of mint, chopped finely
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
2 roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 onion, chopped (optional, I hate raw onions in salads but others love it!)
4 slices Haloumi cheese (for each serving of salad)

For the dressing:
2 lemons, juiced
Olive oil, equal parts olive oil and lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste

Preparation:

Combine the mixed greens and mint with the cucumber, tomato (and onion). Grill the slices of Haloumi cheese on a grill pan to warm the cheese through, and get those fantastic grill marks. Combine the dressing with the salad, plate the greens and arrange the cheese slices (3-4 pieces per serving) on top. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. As you know my gourmand abilities are un-parralleled and my version of this would be amazing. However, if I'm in NYC and really want a Haloumi cheese salad, what local haunt is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice!
    just have to find haloumi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, according to my mother halloumi is hard to find in Montreal - she's going to try her hand on Jean-Talon. I say go with the Greeks and you're bound to have luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm a gonna make it!

    ReplyDelete