Monday, May 10, 2010

Les Clichés Sont Conservés

Yesterday I visited the Affordable Art Fair, and fell in love with the work of British artist and writer Charlotte Cory. For some reason I have a thing for these kinds of dark pieces, perhaps because they still emote a sense of humor. Cory takes Victorian calling cards which are often discarded and found in junk shops throughout Europe, and digitally combines them with images of stuffed museum animals. Both elements have been long forgotten, and were initially produced for humanity's vapid enjoyment. In the artist's own words, her inspiration came to her suddenly and without warning: "Why not recycle the dispossessed pictures and long dead creatures. Grant them all a new lease of life. Better, more colorful, more deserving than before." I just ordered a book of her work entitled "The Visitors," and I can't wait for it to arrive on my doorstep. There are so many melancholic hybrids I have yet to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment